Monster High Cookies ready to be delivered.
This post will show you how I made the Monster High Cookies… this was a very fun project and will be used as a Birthday party favor.

You will need:
1) Royal icing – thick consistency black for outlining (please make at least one day ahead, the charcoal color will change to black overnight. The recipe for Royal Icing is found here.
2) Royal icing – medium consistency using the 20 second icing by Sweetsugarbelle found here.
3) Royal icing – medium consistency for the bow, I was able to match the image with a mix of Americolor Electric pink and Lilac. I used Sweetsugarbelle’s 20 Second Icing because I wanted to bow to stand up and add dimension. See link above.
4) White flood royal icing for the face.
5) Monster High logo template and a paper plate
6) I used the KopyKake 300xk because I wanted them perfect.

Prepare template for dough – I’ve been using the back of a paper plate.
Cut out dough, the shape doesn’t have to be perfect.

Outline bow and face using a larger tip. I used a Wilton size 3.

Let the black outline dry completely – you don’t want bleeding of the black into the white. Β The timing just depends on your climate – in my dry climate I only need to wait about 45 minutes to continue decorating.

Flood the bow with pink. This is the fun part, it’s like playing on those computer games where you click to dump the color in.

Wait about 30 minutes and fill the in the white area.

A couple of hours later I outlined the eyes and filled in with the medium consistency black icing.

Let these cookies dry for about 24 hrs before packaging.
Here it is, a foggy 2am photo of the cookie.
We did alright making them all look exactly the same. I love mass production. Zero creativity required.

I love the way they looked packaged and ready to go.
My little three year old Timmy saw these and said, “What happened to Hello Kitty???”

28 thoughts on “How to make a Monster High Cookie

• March 31, 2012 at 5:26 am

with this icing do you not have to worry about bleeding??

• March 31, 2012 at 5:29 am

yes you do have to worry about bleeding, i waited almost 24 hrs for the black to dry. Making the black ahead of time helps because it gives the color time to develop… so there is less dye all together. If you make black at the last minute you're doomed. Of the 24 I noticed a small tiny hint of bleeding on the bottom of one, but overall it was okay.

• March 31, 2012 at 5:30 am

I mean I waited about 24 hrs for the outline to dry before flooding, I'm in phoenix, arizona so the arid climate helps a lot.

• March 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Love the tutorial! Amazing job Suzanne! I'm very curious about the trays you have the cookies drying on – would you be willing to share what they are and where you got them? Those are trays I know I could put to good use!

• July 9, 2012 at 6:46 am

So, how much would you charge me to have a dozen made & shipped to zip code 94002? I'm a chef, who actually did take a month long pastry course in culinary school, but asmuch as I respect & am in awe of pastry chefs, I hate to bake. I'm a savory girl all the way, so I need to find someone who can make 12 monster high cookies EXACTLY like that for a somewhat reasonable rate πŸ™‚ Please email me if you're willing & able.

Melissa (Chef.Melissa.McCourt@gmail.com)

• September 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Would you be willing to make 24 of these for me?!? I’ve been looking for them everywhere locally without any luck!
    Could you please email me if you are willing?

• November 16, 2012 at 7:20 pm

What are you using to trace them, It seems that the image is projected on the cookie

• November 17, 2012 at 1:17 am

Hi, I’m using a KopyKake projector. It’s a huge contraption that projects an image on to a cookie or a cake. It’s big and bulky but it helps to get a perfect design. Thanks for looking πŸ™‚
      Suz

• November 18, 2012 at 1:21 am

hello, my daughter is having a monster high themed birthday this year and i would love to purchase some of these cookies! are they for sale? if so my email is candi2687@aol.com thank you
    candese

• November 18, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Candese,
      I will send you an email. I do sell them if it fits in to my schedule.
      Thanks!
      Suzanne

• January 6, 2013 at 12:22 am

Thank you for this tutorial! You’ve inspired me to try making them for my grand baby’s birthday in March. She’s all about monster high, but Mom & Dad are skeptics, LOL (leave it to Grama to make it happen) LOL

• January 10, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Let me know how it goes!! Girls Love Monster High!
      Best wishes!
      Suzanne

• April 26, 2013 at 3:12 am

What kind of icing dd you use?

• June 14, 2013 at 2:41 am

Kristina,
      I normally use Royal icing – you can find the recipe linked to most cookie posts on this site.
      Thanks for looking!
      Suzanne πŸ™‚

• September 5, 2013 at 1:29 pm

The cookies look nice! πŸ™‚ My best friend Kairi loves Monster High and she really loves Clawdeen Wolf. She’s really into great days and I love Operetta. This is very cool. The cookies look very yummy. You’ll drool on them.

I Love Your Cookies!
    Sierra πŸ˜€

• September 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Sierra!!

• October 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Thank you Sierra!

• January 8, 2014 at 4:01 am

Im going to try if i cant make them ill email and order party is Jan 25th wish me luck tomorrow.:)

• January 13, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Delma,
      Let me know how it goes. If you want you can make them ahead, allow them to dry completely and freeze the cookies. I get so busy around my kids’ birthdays that I never get to making them special sugar cookies.
      Good luck!
      Suzanne πŸ™‚

• February 12, 2014 at 7:21 pm

If you wait 18 hours and then 24they will be stale

• February 13, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Holly,
      I haven’t had a problem with the cookies getting stale. I usually keep them covered or in a sealed container. Once you get a layer of royal icing on the cookie the royal icing itself works as a preservative.
      If you are worried about waiting that long use a fan, a dehydrator or even a small space heater to help the first layer dry quickly so you can decorate the entire cookie within 24 hours.
      Good luck!
      Suzanne πŸ™‚

• March 13, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I’m trying to find out if I make the monster high cookies this weekend with the royal icing for the picture would it still be good for March 29th? even if I freeze it?

• March 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Angie,
      It is fine to make the cookies ahead of time and freeze them. Just be careful as royal icing becomes more brittle in the freezer. Place them in a container where the icing will not break or get damaged from other foods. One way to be certain they are perfect is to add the details for the face the day before.
      I made these weeks before thanksgiving and they were fine. There were a few where the names came off because I did not take good care of them in the freezer.
      These are far from perfect as they were one of the first sets I made. Good to know freezing works. I never have time to make cookies when I am also planning a party.
      Let me know how it goes!
      Suzanne

• August 26, 2014 at 4:42 am

Just interested to know how much charge per dozen. And where exactly do you ship to?

• August 26, 2014 at 4:57 am

Nancy, it depends on the design and where they need to go. If you need more information you can email me at sweetsbysuz@gmail.com
      Thanks for looking! πŸ™‚